Add Ingredients to Cart
- 4 Hatch chile peppers
- Hy-Vee canola oil
- 2 lb 80% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee salt
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee black pepper
- 8 slices thick-sliced Hy-Vee double-smoked bacon
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. Hy-Vee cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. Hatch pepper Cheddar cheese, shredded; divided
- 4 oz smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 4 Hy-Vee Bakery sesame seed hamburger buns, split and toasted
- butterhead lettuce leaves, for serving
- tomato slices, for serving
- red onion slices, separated into rings, for serving
Preheat a charcoal or gas grill for direct cooking over high heat (500°). Rub Hatch chiles with canola oil. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes or until blistered and slightly charred. Remove from grill and place in a glass bowl. Tightly cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
Prepare grill for indirect cooking over low heat (250°). Combine beef, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Be careful not to overmix. Form 4 meatballs.
Tightly cover the bottom and sides of a beer can with foil. Form burgers by pressing the beer can into each meatball to form a cup. If necessary, press the meat one-third up the side of the beer can. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each burger cup; skewer together with wooden toothpicks. Gently twist beer can to remove from meat.
Peel, seed, and chop Hatch chiles; set aside 2 tablespoons chiles. Combine remaining chiles, cream cheese, and half of shredded Hatch pepper cheese; set aside ¼ cup cream cheese mixture. Stir Gouda cheese into the remaining cream cheese mixture.
To stuff burgers, spoon cream cheese-Gouda mixture in burger cups. Top with remaining shredded Hatch pepper cheese and reserved 2 tablespoons chiles.
Place a sheet of heavy foil on grill rack. Grill burger cups on foil for 35 to 45 minutes or until meat reaches 160° and cheese is melted. To assemble burgers, place lettuce on bun bottoms. Top with burgers, tomato, and red onion. Spread the reserved ¼ cup cream cheese mixture on bun tops and place on top to enclose sandwiches.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 100g||128%|
|Saturated Fat: 48g|
|Trans Fat: 3.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber: 1g||4%|