Add Ingredients to Cart
- ½ (21-oz.) loaf Hy-Vee Bakery unsliced ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee salted butter
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee canola oil
- 1 tsp packed Hy-Vee brown sugar
- 2 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- ⅛ coarse-ground Hy-Vee black pepper
- 2 slices Hy-Vee Midwest Pork bacon
- ½ (16-oz.) pkg. Hy-Vee Midwest Pork mild ground sausage
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese (8-oz.), divided
- 8 Hy-Vee large eggs
- 2 cups Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 300°. Spread bread cubes in a large rimmed baking pan. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly dry, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven; set aside to cool. Increase oven temperature to 350°.
Heat butter and canola oil in a large nonstick skillet until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar. Add onions; sprinkle with pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Transfer onions to a large bowl; set aside.
Cook bacon in same skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly crisp. Drain on paper towels; chop bacon and add onion to onion mixture. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
Cook sausage in same skillet for 5 minutes over medium-high heat or until browned, stirring occasionally to break into crumbles. Add spinach, a handful at a time; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly wilted. Add to onion mixture; stir to combine.
Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Toss bread cubes with 1 cup cheese in a large bowl. Add onion mixture; toss until combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with additional ½ cup cheese.
Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, and Dijon mustard. Pour over bread mixture in baking dish. If necessary, lightly press down bread cubes to moisten. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese; bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 38g||49%|
|Saturated Fat: 19g|
|Trans Fat: .5g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber: 2g||7%|