Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 (12-to 14 lbs.) fresh turkey, thawed if frozen
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp. orange zest (reserve fruit)
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp. lemon zest (reserve fruit)
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp. grapefruit zest (reserve fruit)
- 2 tsp lime zest (reserve fruit)
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbsp Hy-Vee light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus additional for garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh sage, plus additional for garnish
- ¼ cup Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted
Remove and discard neck and giblets from turkey; set aside.
Combine 2 tablespoons orange zest, 1 tablespoon each lemon, grapefruit, and lime zests, salt, brown sugar, and pepper. Rub mixture inside cavity and over skin of turkey. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 to 2 days.
One hour before roasting, brush off citrus mixture from inside and outside of the turkey. Pat dry with paper towels.
Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a roasting rack from a large shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray; place rack in pan. Cut reserved citrus fruits into wedges. Stuff fruits and herbs in turkey cavity. Tuck wings underneath breasts; tie legs together with kitchen string. Transfer turkey to prepared rack in pan.
Combine butter and remaining 1 teaspoon each lemon and orange zests; brush over turkey. Roast, uncovered, 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Roast 1¾ to 2¼ hours or until turkey reaches 165 degrees in thickest part of meat. Cover with foil; let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Garnish as desired with additional citrus fruits and herbs.