Add Ingredients to Cart
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee salted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup peach preserves
- ½ cup That’s Smart! original barbeque sauce
- ⅛ tsp Hy-Vee cayenne pepper
- Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. frozen Fish Market Alaska cod fillets, thawed
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. onion flavored hush puppy mix
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup Hy-Vee finely shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 slice(s) Hy-Vee sweet smoked bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped, plus additional for garnish
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat or until very tender, stirring frequently.
Stir in preserves, barbeque sauce and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly, stirring frequently. Cool jam to room temperature.
Heat oil to 350° in a deep-fat fryer or large heavy saucepan suitable for deep-fat frying. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for quantity of oil in deep-fat fryer. For heavy saucepan, use at least 1½ in. of oil.
Pat cod fillets dry with paper towels. Chop into ¼ in. pieces. Combine hush puppy mix, water, cheese, bacon, 1 finely chopped jalapeño pepper and cod in a medium bowl until combined.
Drop batter into hot oil using a 1 Tbsp. rounded metal scoop. Fry in batches of 6 to 8 for 3 to 3½ minutes or until golden and cooked through, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
To serve, transfer to a paper-lined basket or bowl. Garnish with additional jalapeño pepper, if desired. Serve with peach jam.