Add Ingredients to Cart
- ½ cup Hy-Vee sour cream
- ½ cup Hy-Vee mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Hy-Vee granulated sugar
- 2 tsp plus ⅛ teaspoon curry powder, divided
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp malt vinegar
- ½ tsp Hy-Vee garlic salt
- ½ tsp That's Smart! onion powder
- 1 (18-oz.) pkg. frozen beer-battered fish fillets (10-ct.)
- Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for frying; plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup Hy-Vee frozen sweet peas, thawed and drained
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 Hy-Vee large egg, separated
- ¾ cup Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1 ⅔ cups Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp Hy-Vee baking powder, divided
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee salt, divided
- ¼ tsp Hy-Vee black pepper
- ¾ cup shandy beer, such as Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Coarse sea salt, for serving
For curry mayo: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, 2 teaspoons curry powder, horseradish, malt vinegar, garlic salt, and onion powder in a small bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.
Preheat oven to 450°. Arrange fish fillets on baking sheet; bake 17 to 19 minutes total or until internal temperature reaches 165°, flipping after 12 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
Heat oil to 375° in a deep-fat fryer or large heavy saucepan suitable for deep-frying. Follow instructions for quantity of oil in deep-fat fryer. For heavy saucepan, use at least 2 inches of oil.
For Sweet Pea Puppies: Combine sweet peas, green onion, egg yolk, and ¼ cup milk in a medium bowl. Whisk together ⅔ cup flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Stir flour mixture into pea mixture.
Beat egg white with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); gently fold into pea mixture. Drop batter by rounded teaspoons into hot oil. Fry in batches for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining ⅛ teaspoon curry powder; keep warm.
Whisk together remaining 1 cup flour, remaining 1-½ teaspoon baking powder, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer, remaining ½ cup milk, and remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil until smooth. Dip baked fish fillets in batter, turning to coat. Fry in batches 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired. Serve with Sweet Pea Puppies and curry mayo.