Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 ¼ cups seasoned rice vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup daikon white radish, shredded
- 1 cup English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- ½ jalapeño pepper, sliced
- ¾ cup Hy-Vee mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Gustare Vita capers, drained; plus additional for garnish
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for frying
- ⅔ cup Hy-Vee all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Hy-Vee corn starch
- 1 cup Hy-Vee club soda
- 1 (1½-lb.) Hy-Vee Fish Market fresh skinless Alaskan cod fillet, quartered
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. Hy-Vee Bakery hoagie buns, (4 ct.) split and toasted
- Fresh cilantro, trimmed; for serving
Combine rice vinegar, water, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves; cool slightly. Combine daikon, cucumber, carrots, bell pepper, and jalapeño in a medium bowl. Add vinegar mixture. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours or up to 3 days.
For sauce, place mayonnaise, ¼ cup capers, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Cover; pulse or blend until capers are slightly chopped. Set aside.
Heat oil to 350° in a deep-fat fryer or large heavy saucepan suitable for deep-fat frying. Follow instructions for quantity of oil in deep-fat fryer. For heavy saucepan, use at least 2 inches of oil.
Whisk together flour and corn starch in a medium bowl. Whisk in club soda, ¼ cup at a time, until combined (batter will be thick).
Pat fish dry with paper towels. Dip fish into batter to coat. Fry, 2 pieces at a time, 10 to 12 minutes or until 145° and golden brown, turning halfway through. Drain on paper towels. Repeat frying remaining coated fish. Sprinkle fish with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
To serve, drain vegetables. Spread bun bottoms with caper sauce; top with fish, vegetables, cilantro, and bun tops. Spoon remaining caper sauce into a serving bowl. Garnish with additional capers, if desired. Serve sauce with sandwiches.