Add Ingredients to Cart
- Apple wood chips, or cherry wood chips
- 4 (8-oz. each) Fish Market frozen yellowfin ahi tuna steaks, 1-inch thick
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 slices, plus wedges for serving
- 2 cups warm water
- ⅓ cup Hy-Vee brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Hy-Vee garlic powder
- ½ cup Hy-Vee salted butter, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Hy-Vee black pepper, coarsely ground
- ¼ tsp Hy-Vee crushed red pepper
- Italian parsley, for garnish
- Green beans, grilled; for serving
Place tuna steaks and lemon slices in large resealable plastic bag. Combine 2 cups warm water, brown sugar, salt, and garlic powder. Pour brine mixture over tuna in bag; seal bag. Turn bag to evenly coat tuna with brine. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, cover wood chips with warm water; soak at least 1 hour.
Preheat smoker according to manufacturer's directions to maintain a temperature between 220 and 225°. Use wood chips and water pan as directed.
Remove tuna steaks from brine; discard brine and lemons. Pat tuna dry with paper towels.
Place tuna on greased rack in smoker directly over water pan. Smoke 45 to 60 minutes or until tuna reaches 145°, adding wood chips as needed to maintain smoke.
For sauce, place butter, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, and crushed red pepper in medium heat-resistant bowl. Place bowl on rack in smoker. Smoke 18 to 20 minutes or until melted.
To serve, spoon sauce over tuna steaks. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve with lemon wedges and grilled green beans.