Add Ingredients to Cart
- Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (16-oz.) can Hy-Vee flaky jumbos buttermilk biscuits, (8-ct.)
- 1 ½ cups Soda Jelly
- 1 recipe desired Glaze
- Strawberry popping candy, for garnish
- Hy-Vee maraschino cherries with stems, drained, for garnish
- 1 ½ cups Hy-Vee granulated sugar
- ¾ cup caffeine-free cola soft drink, or caffeine-free citrus-flavored soft drink
- ½ (3-oz.) pouch liquid pectin
Cola Pudding Glaze
- 1 (3.4-oz) pkg. Hy-Vee instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
- ¾ cup caffeine-free cola soft drink
- ½ cup Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk
Chocolate-Cherry Cola Glaze
- 4 oz Zoet extra-dark 70% cacao chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp caffeine-free cola soft drink
- 2 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
Citrus Soda Glaze
- 2 cups Hy-Vee powdered sugar
- 1 cup caffeine-free citrus-flavored soft drink, plus additional for thinning, if desired
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Make Soda Jelly: Combine sugar, caffeine-free cola or caffeine-free citrus-flavored soft drink in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in liquid pectin; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into clean jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cool completely. Tightly cover and refrigerate 1 day before using. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Heat oil to 350° in a deep-fat fryer or large heavy-bottom saucepan. Follow instructions for quantity of oil in deep-fat fryer. For saucepan, use at least 2-inches of oil.
Cut out centers from each biscuit using a 1½-inch round pastry cutter. Fry biscuits in batches for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through, turning halfway through. Drain on paper towels; cool.
Fill a plastic squeeze bottle with Soda Jelly. Insert tip of bottle in sides of donuts and squeeze Soda Jelly into four sides of each donut.
Make Desired Glaze. Cola-Pudding Glaze: Whisk together pudding mix, caffeine-free cola soft drink, and milk in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Makes 1 cup.
Chocolate-Cherry Cola Glaze: Place chocolate in a medium glass bowl. Heat whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in caffeine-free cola soft drink and maraschino cherry juice. Makes 1 cup.
Citrus Soda Glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar, caffeine-free citrus-flavored soft drink, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add additional citrus-flavored soft drink if needed to thin glaze. Makes 1 cup.
Dip donuts into desired glaze. Squeeze additional jelly into centers of donuts. For Chocolate-Cherry Cola donuts, sprinkle with popping candy and garnish with cherries. Serve immediately.