Add Ingredients to Cart
- 2 (10- to 12-oz.) bunches collard greens, trimmed and cut into 1-inch slices
- 8 slice(s) Hy-Vee sweet smoked thick-sliced bacon
- 1 cup Hy-Vee Short Cuts chopped white onions
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. Hy-Vee cubed cooked ham
- 3 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Hy-Vee 33% less sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Hy-Vee apple cider flavored vinegar
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 (15-oz.) can Hy-Vee pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Hy-Vee crushed red pepper, for garnish
Fill a 6-quart stockpot half full with water; bring to a boil. Add collard greens; cook for 3 minutes. Drain; reserve 1 cup cooking water. Set collard greens aside.
Cook bacon in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; reserve drippings in skillet. Chop bacon and set aside.
Add onions and ham to drippings in skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions soften and ham just begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, reserved cooking water and vinegar. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in sugar and chili paste. Add collard greens and pinto beans. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until collard greens are tender.
To serve, top with chopped bacon. Garnish with lemon zest and crusted red pepper, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat: 4g|
|Trans Fat: 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber: 6g||21%|