Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 cup That’s Smart! 2% reduced-fat milk
- 6 tbsp Hy-Vee unsalted butter
- 1 cup That’s Smart! all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Hy-Vee ground cinnamon
- 4 That’s Smart! large eggs
- Hy-Vee canola oil, for frying
- ¼ cup That’s Smart! light corn syrup, for brushing
- ¼ cup Over the Top wispy white sanding sugar
- ¼ cup Over the Top rosy red sanding sugar
Combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; stir in flour and cinnamon until combined. Cook and stir mixture over low heat for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
Beat dough with an electric mixture on low until cooled slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with medium star-shape piping tip.
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Pipe 3-in.-wide X and O shapes onto the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 45 to 60 minutes or until set.
Heat oil to 300° in a deep-fat fryer or a 4-qt. heavy saucepan suitable for deep-fat frying. Follow instructions for quantity of oil in deep-fat fryer. For saucepan, use at least 2 in. of oil.
Carefully place 3 to 4 dough Xs and Os into hot oil. Fry for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
Place white and rosy red sanding sugars in separate medium shallow bowls. While churros are still slightly warm, brush tops with corn syrup. Dip Os in white sanding sugar and Xs in red sanding sugar to coat.